This approach has a number of substantial advantages:
- Simplifies model modification thereby allowing progressive addition of detail to the modelled processes according to the importance of that area of the overall model.
- Allows further modules to be added to the model without undue disruption to the existing model.
- Provides a more explicit and easier QA process for verifying workbooks compared to traditional spreadsheet applications.
- Allows the results of many runs to be collected and analysed so that the most effective combinations of parameters can be determined.
- Speeds up the rate of model delivery.
This approach will inform the Client upon the best combinations of buffer tanks, fuel storage, processing capacities and operating plant parameters to specify for the Fuel Cycle Plant. Following completion of the first stage of the modelling work, DBD developed the model to add enhancements and provided training and support to the Client. Enhancements to the code will enable the Client to complete a series of system studies.